Morden (UK) Malden) is a city located in the central part of Massachusetts, in the United States, in the southeastern part of Middlesex County, and near Boston City. In the 2010 population census, the population was 59,450. In 2009, the magazine "Business Week" was listed as "the best place to raise children" in Massachusetts.
View of Malden High School
the locations of Middlesex County (Pink) and Morden City (Red) in Massachusetts
|county||Middle Sex County|
|- Type||Act of the Mayor and the City Government Commission|
|- Mayor||Gary Christenson|
|· Total||5.1mi2 (13.2 km2)|
|· Land||5.1mi2 (13.1 km2)|
|- Water surface||0.0mi2 (0.1 km2)|
|· Density||11,656.8/mi2 (4,500.7/km2)|
|equal time||UTC-5 (Eastern Standard Time)|
|· Daylight saving time||UTC-4 (Eastern Daylight Time)|
|Postal code|| |
|area code||339 / 781|
The Morden is a mountainous forest of the northern Mystic River where Puritan settled in 1640 on a land purchased from the Penacock Indians in 1629. This area was originally called 'Mystic Side' and belonged to Charlestown. In 1649, it was incorporated into another town. The name of Morden was chosen by Joseph Hills, an early pioneer and landowner, from Moldon, England. The original area included the present neighboring cities of Melrose (until 1850) and Everett (until 1870).
At the time of the American Revolution, the population of the town was about 1,000, and the citizens were quickly involved in the resistance to repression by Britain. In 1770, he boycotted the consumption of tea by resisting the Revenue Act of 1766. It was also the first town to petition the colonial government for separation from the British Empire.
The Morden High School continues to compete against the neighboring Medford High School and American football, the second oldest and consecutive competition in the United States. The first "Thanksgiving Day Match" was in 1889.
In 1984, Morden was known throughout the country for the controversial case of the Feldacre Day Care Center Pre-school Trial.
In 2004, at 9:15 a.m. on May 17, at Cambridge City Hall, a same-sex couple in Morden was married for the first time in Massachusetts. Massachusetts was the first state in the United States to allow same-sex marriage.
Molden City borders Melrose City in the north, Stonam City in the northwest, Medford City in the west, Everett City in the south, Libya City in the east and Sogas Town in the northeast. Mt. Waits is the highest point in the city.
According to the National Census Bureau, the entire area of the city is 5.1 square miles (13 km2), of which the land area is 5.1 square miles (13 km2), the water area is 0.04 square miles (0.10 km 2) and the water area is 0.78%. The North Shinokita City border is the Middle Sex Fells cliff. The Morden River runs through the city.
|* = population estimate. Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data|
The following is demographic data from the 2010 census.
Households and family (number of households)
income and family
In 2009 and 2010, 37% of the Morden residents were born outside the United States. The ratio was double that of 1990, and 11 points higher than 26% in 2000. The Morden figure was second in the state after Chelsea.
Migrants as of 2009 and 2010 have moved from Brazil, China, Haiti, India, Morocco and Pakistan. The Moroccan American Civil Culture Association is in Morden.
From the late 1800s to the early 1900s, there were many immigrants from Italy and Ireland. Before and after World War II, Jews who had escaped from Europe came in.
The Morden Public School District has jurisdiction over public schools in the city. There are five elementary and junior high schools, one junior high and high school for charters, one high school, and one pre-school. In addition to the public Morden High School, there are Catholic High School and Mystic Valley Regional Chartered High School. According to a study conducted by the National Center for Educational Statistics in 2013, Morden High School was the most diverse public school in Massachusetts.
As with many towns in New England, many towns and districts were organized around intersections and squares in the Town Common, which can date back to the colonial period or the early 19th century. Many of the areas are given names from major squares in the area and their originality.
The open spaces in Morden City are Morden Square (the intersection of Main Street and Pleasant Street), Convers Square (the intersection of Main Street and Salem Street and Ferry Street), Oak Grove Square (the intersection of Main Street and Ferry Street), Velock Square (the intersection of Cross Street, Main Street and Medford Street), Jadson Square (near Ferry Way School), Former Suffolk Square (the intersection of Cross Street and Bryant Street), Jewish society, Maplewood Square (the intersection of Lebanese Street, Maple Street, Street, Seelm Street, Street, Street Street, and Seelm Street Street Street Street Street Street Street), and Linwood Street.
The areas in the city are Faulkner (the former Suffolk Square), West End, Edgeworth, Linden, Ferry, Foresdale, Maple Wood, Bellok, and Belmont Hill (between Belloque and Ferryway).
The city is located in the south-central part of the city, with its main street in the east, Charles Street in the north, the Morden River in the west and Everett City in the south. Among them are the Bellrock Memorial Park and the Belloch Cemetery, which are designated as the National Register of Historic Places of the United States of America, and there are monuments that can be traced back to 1670. The Belloch Cemetery was called Sandy Bank until the Seelam Street Cemetery was established in 1832. The next half century was called the former burial place and was renamed in 1882. The main office of New England Coffee is also located in this area, and it is said that 'the whole Morden city was wrapped with the aroma of roasted coffee.'
The Edgeworth area is in the southwestern part of the city. There is Devia Park, Pearl Street Park and Callaghan Park. There is also McDonald's Stadium in the city football stadium. There is the original Emerson Grammar School. The Converse Rubber Plant and the office were operating in the back of Pearl Street. It was the original home ground of the Converse "All-Star" basketball Sneakers. The Morden Catholic High School was originally located in Highland Avenue in the area. The high school football team played the game at Gilbert Brothers Stadium at the corner of Commercial and Medford Street. The Immaculate Concept Grammar School was at the corner of Charles Street and Highland Avenue. Edgeworth District adjoins Everett and Medford. The area also has St. Loco's Fists, Sunset Owings and Pisa Pizza.
The Faulkner area is divided by Ferry Street in the west, Everett in the south, Dell Street in the east and Seilam Street in the north. Some of the streets that are north of Seelam Street around Pierce Street are considered to enter the Faulkner District. During the colonial period, the Harbor factory was located just below the cliffs along Harbels Brook between Cross Street and the intersection of the former Boston and Main Railroad Line, Eastern Avenue and Salem Street. Hervels Brook flowed west into the Morden River. The road from South Morden (present Everett City) crossed at a point towards the hill on Seilam Street. The road, which had been called the former Habers Brook Lane, has now been renamed Cross Street. In the 19th century, a railroad was built along Harbels Brook, which was named the Sogas Branch Line, and the Brook was narrowed into a sewer called the Sogas Branch Brook. During this period, the industry grew rapidly in the area, and a large immigration area centered around Bryant Street and Cross Street was named Suffolk Square. In the early 20th century, the Sogas branch line Brook was culled for pollution. In the 1920s and 1930s, East Boston and Chelsea, and Jewish immigrants from the West End and North End of Boston, moved to Suffolk Square. In this period, there were three streetcar lines in Faulkner, and two stations of commuter trains operated by the current Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau were operated. All of the traces of this route are Route 105 and bus routes. In the 1950s, Jews went to the northern suburbs, the railroad declined, the economy they had in the factory went to ruin, and poor three-story houses and vacant stores were all crowded. With a ambitious but experimental urban redevelopment project modeled on Skory Square and West End in Boston, Suffolk Square and most of the area has been leveled. The commercial center around Suffolk Square was lost due to discussions on redevelopment projects, and it has been replaced by low-income and elderly public housing such as dense three-family housing and suburban areas. There were Suffolk Manor Senior Aged Houses, Bodong Apartments and Newland Street Projects. The school in the district was Lincoln Elementary School, Lincoln Junior High School/Junior High School, Daniels Elementary School, and Faulkner School at the corner of Pierce Street and Seilam Street. At the beginning of the 21st century, a small part of Hervels Brook went back under the sun and when the Salamwood School was built at the eastern end of Roosevelt Park, it was partly renovated at the park. Parks in the area include Daniels Park, Lincoln Commons, Roosevelt Park and Harvard Street Park.
The ferry is located in the south-central part of the city. There are Ferry Way School and Newman Park. The land that the school is now using was called Ferry Green.
Forrest Dale is located in the north central part of the city, where Forrest Dale School and the park are located. It has the largest park in the city called Pine Banks Park, and the Forest Dale Cemetery is also the largest of its kind. A part of Forest Road traces back to the old Indian Road.
Linden is the southeastern part of the city, and is the entire area east of Broadway/Route 99. There is Linden School and Hunting Field, and there is a region called Granada Highlands, which is a region with a raised height with an apartment at its top. Most of this area was bog-rich until the late 19th century. The Linden Land Company cut and sold the land that was made by filling up the swamp around Hunting Field for residential use. When residents dig the land, they sometimes dig up glass bottles and so on. The Hunting Field was once a park that ran all over the area surrounded by Broadway, Salem, Eastern Avenue, and Claremont, and only had several houses and a large tram depot that was now at the Econo Lodge. There was a public garden and a fountain at a point in the park. In the latter half of the 1940s, private gay community and housing development for retired soldiers, and Linden Elementary School was established in 1953, and the area has been small for a long time. The housing for retired soldiers was later converted into a low-income housing. One of the last traces of this park is the old way of education. A large oak tree in the first park still stands at the corner of Claremont Street, and the stone wall remains.
Maple Wood is about one mile (1.6 km) east of Morden Square. If you want to drive, you can go directly to Maplewood Square by way of Seram Street or State Route 60. The majority of Maple Wood is in the sixth ward of Morden City. Maple Wood consists of three areas. It is South Broadway, Maplewood Highlands (the hilly area in the northeast), and Maplewood Laurans, the most populous of which is the Laurans, including Maplewood Square, and the center of the whole area.
Many public buses link Maple Wood with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau's orange line. It takes less than 30 minutes to use public transportation from Maple Wood to Boston. It takes about 15 minutes from Maple Wood to Square one mall in Sogus. The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau's subway and commuter line stations are located 1.3 miles (2.1 km) from Maplewood Square. Maplewood Square is located five miles (8 km) from central Boston City, one mile (1.6 km) from National Route 1, and two miles (3 km) from Interstate Expressway 93.
In Maplewood Square, there are one gas station (Superior Gas), two convenience stores, a Citizen's Bank, two drug stores, a barber shop of Peter, a fish market, a meat market, three pizza parlors, an eye doctor, one dentist, one accountant office, Dunkin Donut, toy shop, Jules's ice cream parlors, Papa Jinos, one clothing store and dry cleaning shop, one dance and Neal salon store, one hair studio, two Chinese restaurant, and Cafestoon Cafestoon Cafeteria, and Cafestoon Cafeteria, and Cafeteria Cafeteria, and Cafeteria Cafeteria, and Caste Caste Caste Cafeteria. There is a stop-and-shop near Maplewood Square, and there is also a planet fitness. Churches include Catholics, Baptists, Methodists and Lutheran. There is also a synagogue of Judaism. The schools include the Mystic Valley Community Charter School and the Morden Catholic High School, and the Salamwood School, which is located at the end of the Wt. Street extension.
The Maple Wood house ranges from a modern one-house building of a new development site to a number of houses over 100 years old. Old houses have been renewed for a long time. There are many apartments that serve one family or two families, and there are new ones, such as the Clifside Apartments in Broadway.
There are three public parks in the area. Roosevelt Park, South Broadway Park, and Traffton Park. The Trafton Park has been renovated in recent years and has an infant playground, a tennis court and a dog run. Under planning, the Northern Strand Bike Trail heads for the Atlantic via Maple Wood.
The West End is in the northwestern part of the city and borders Medford. Immaculate Concept Parish, Fersmia Pond, and Amérige Park are located there. The Bibi school is in the district. It was in this area when Morden Hospital was run. The Felswacre was here.
city government and infrastructure
The Morden fire department operates from three garrisons, two in Morden and one in Libya. It is equipped with four fire engines (one spare), two ladder vehicles, one conductor, one fire-prevention unit, one security unit, and one mechanical unit.
The headquarters of the Massachusetts Primary and Secondary Education Department are in the city.
main high-standard road
Massachusetts Route 29, 60, 99 and U.S. Route 1 run through Morden City. National Route 16 and Interstate Expressway Route 93 are also located outside the city, but nearby.
Buses and railways
Morden City is connected to the central city of Boston on the Orange Line, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau's subway. The station is the Morden Center and the Oak Grove. The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority's commuter railway stops at Morden Center Station, and if necessary, it can stop at the Oak Globe. During the first few years of the 2000s, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau updated the signal system and replaced the orange line service with shuttle buses at night. From September 2007, such a shutdown has been limited to weekends. Meanwhile, due to the repair of the signal system, the northern part of the Orange Line has been closed, and passengers have changed trains from Haymarket Subway Station or Wellington Station to buses.
A considerable portion of the Sogas branch of the former Boston and Main Railway runs through the central part of Morden City. The line is now owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau, but since 1993, it has been discontinued and passenger service has disappeared since 1958. There is a plan to build a motorcycle trail next to the land where these routes have access. The project was not well planned due to the lack of budget and erosion, but it was opened on June 3, 2012. This road is called the Northern Strand Community Trail.
Buses from the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau are available in the nearby town.
There are about 30 parks in the city, and they offer various recreation facilities such as tennis courts, basketball courts, game halls and ball theaters. Other features include a 400-meter track at McDonald's Stadium, a 56-acre (230,000 m²) Middle Sex Fels Sanctuary, a 25-acre (100,000 m²) Fersmear Pond, a swimming pool, a 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m²) field house built under the new school building reconstruction plan, and the latest Morden YMCA and Painns Park built in early 207. The Pine Banks Park is run by the Trust Committee and the equivalent representatives from Morden and Melrose cities. Mt. Waits is also in the city.
Other highlights include the Convers Memorial Library and Congress Beth Israel. The beautiful and prominent feature of the city is the public library designed by Henry Hobson Richardson and built in 1885.
well known native
- Jack Albertson, Actor, Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Walter Brennan, Actor, Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Gary Shelon, singer-songwriter
- E. S. Gardner, mystery writer
- He became the first Protestant clergyman in Adniram Jadson, a missionary, and Burma (now Myanmar)
- Killer Kowalski
- Frank Stella, painter and sculptor
in popular culture
- "Linden of the Sogas Branch" by Elliot Paul, a writer in the early 20th century, depicts the life of Morden in the early 20th century. The name Linden is the easternmost part of Morden City, bordering Libya. Linden was on the way from Everett to Westlin, through Morden and Sogas, the Sogas branch of the Boston and Main Railroad. Passenger trains were stopped in the 1950s and freight trains stopped in the late 1990s, and later in 2012, the track was removed and became a motorcycle trail
- The Morden is set in Stephen King's zombie thriller novel "Cell" (2006). King has a relative in Morden, so he often refers to Morden in his past works.
- In the 2003 novel "Sin of Omission" by writer David Evans Katz, Suffolk Plaza in Morden is set. Molden is called middle sex
- Molden is the setting for the mystery author Toni Kelner's 2008 novel "Without Mercy." The main character lives in an apartment near the Morden Center, and local companies of Pearl Street and Town Pizza House come out
- In the 1973 movie "Friends of Eddie Coil," starring Robert Mitcham, a scene of a gun purchase near the beginning was shot at a stone quarry and a quarry of a former row query near the eastern border of the city. This scene is used to cover recently released DVDs
- A part of the 1998 movie "Monument Ave." starring Dennis Riari was shot in Morden
- The 2010 movie "The Town" mentioned the Morden stop and shop
- ^ "The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009: Massachusetts - BusinessWeek". Images.businessweek.com. Read on March 11, 2011.
- ^ Abel, David (November 13, 2008). "Magazine calls Malden state's best place to raise children - The Boston Globe". Boston.comMarch 11, 2011.
- ^ History of Middlesex County, p. 114-116.
- ^ a b History of Malden - City Website Archived 20 August 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ Deloraine Pendre Corey. The History of Malden, Massachusetts, 1633-1785
- ^ "Malden/Medford Football : By the numbers - Medford, MA - Medford Transcript". GateHouse Media, Inc.. Archived from original as of October 22, 2008. Viewed on December 26, 2015.
- ^ "The first same-sex marriage in the U.S., May 17, 2004 - Andrew Glass". Politico.Com. Read on August 2, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Read on January 31, 2008.
- ^ "QT-P8: Race Reporting for the Asian Population by Selected Categories: 2010". factfinder2.census.gov. 2010 Census. Read on June 1, 2014.
- ^ a b c d "A place where all along". Boston Globe: p. 1. (December 23, 2009)
- ^ a b c "A melting pot stretchs out to the suburbs". Boston Globe: p. 1. (September 15, 2010)September 23, 2014.
- ^ "mvrcs.com". mvrcs.com. Read on August 2, 2014.
- ^ "News | CHART: The Most and Least Diverse Public High Schools in MA". GoLocalWorcester (June 1, 2013). Read on August 2, 2014.
- ^ by Kathleen R.. "New England Tea & Coffee Company - Malden, MA". Yelp. Read on August 2, 2014.
- ^ "Contact ESE." Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Retrieved on February 29, 2012. "75 Pleasant Street Malden, MA 02148-4906"
- ^ "Malden District Court MA". Town-court.com. Read on August 2, 2014.
- official website
- Malden Public Library website
- History of Middlesex County, Volume II, p. 113 etc. (Medford, by W. H. Whitmore). 1880, published by Estes and Lauriat; edited by Samual Adams Drake.
- Births, Marriages and Deaths in the Town of Malden, 1649-1850 by Deloraine Pendre Corey, published 1903.